Fine set of four German Heinrich painted porcelain service plates, each transfer-printed with a polychrome floral bouquet in a gold-lined medallion adorning the recessed center, bordered by a wide acid cut-back gold band ornamented with acanthus foliage.
The polychrome floral bouquets feature a mix of brightly colored European flowers, accompanied by light-green leaves touched with yellow and pink and light-blue; arranged in a foliate cluster punctuated by a few oversize blossoms, anchoring several small round-petal and rayed flowering issues as well as another oversize flower. The bouquets vary in composition. Two plates each have a bouquet having a foliate cluster featuring an oversize light-purple peony with an oversize yellow rose, anchoring an oversize stemmed orange-colored carnation. One plate has a bouquet having a foliate cluster featuring an oversize pink shading to yellow peony, flanked by two large wild-roses respectively of purple and dark-pink, anchoring an oversize stemmed pink cabbage-rose. The fourth plate has a bouquet having a foliate cluster featuring an oversize pink cabbage-rose accompanied by two large sized daisies, respectively white and purple, anchoring a large stemmed pink wild-rose.
The design on the wide gold borders repeats, featuring panels of stylized acanthus foliage alternating against a dotted diamond-netted latticework circumscribing the flange, continuing into the well with a sponged band which, in turn, is concentric with an inner band of bellflowers pendant between eight side-symmetric pairs of scrolling flowering vines, guarded by squared “C”-scrolls. The acanthus panels on the flange alternate between narrow panels which each have a flowerhead encircled between two laths, vertically centering short bellflower drops; and wider panels which each having two bracketed laths centering a leafy drop terminating with a flowerhead, surmounted by a bellflower pendant from scrolled leaves.
Made by Heinrich and Company in Selb, Germany, between the years 1911 and 1934. The bottom of each plate is underglaze printed in dark-green with a trademark that is composed of a diadem above the abbreviated manufacturer name, “H & Cº,” above the country-of-origin indication, “SELB//BAVARIA." The underglaze dark green printed maker trademark is composed of a diadem above the abbreviated manufacturer name, “H & Cº,” above the country-of-origin indication, “SELB//BAVARIA." This trademark is shown as #1115 in Röntgen's Marks on German, Bohemian, and Austrian Porcelain, 1710 to the Present, and attributed to Heinrich and Company in Selb, Germany, used between the years 1911 and 1934. Good condition. Each plate is supported on a low round foot; measures 10 ½" diameter. (DS)